I’m not sure if another article about Sarah Palin, however obscure or brief it may be, is really what we need. So, it’s with hesitation that I attempt to offer a few quick thoughts.
- Sarah Palin fans – do you know what she believes? Have we ever made her be specific (other than “drill now, drill here” and “lift the American Spirit”)? Can she govern, including: creating legislation, working with Congress and managing international relationships?
- Sarah Palin haters – is she really as dumb as you think? I mean, she was the Governor of a state and seems to be able to give a speech in public (generally speaking). Isn’t it possible she’s playing the system and recognizes that her “character” is popular?
- Republicans – is this really the image and figurehead the GOP wants representing its national interests? Is she the future?
- Democrats – is she really worth attacking? I mean, the joke tells itself.
- Independents – tell me she’s not the exact opposite of the type of “outsider” we’ve been hoping for in national politics?
- Moderates – what is your view of the candidate, author and public speaker? Can she be considered moderate on anything?
- President Obama – Seriously, I’d love to know what you and Rahm talk about in private.
- Media types of all shapes and sizes – is covering her worth it? Is she the Brett Favre of politics? The word from ESPN is that anytime a Brett Favre story airs – the ratings skyrocket. Apparently this is why we continue to be inundated with Favre stories. Is this why Palin continues to make headlines? Are Americans paying attention?
- Liberal media types – do you think the right strategy is mockery? Doesn’t belittling her say something about you too?
- Conservative media types – isn’t it dangerous to give Palin an unqualified and unquestioned defense? Doesn’t she deserve some good-faith scrutiny?
- News-watching Americans – what is the attraction? Why is Palin such a popular/polarizing figure?
- Palin’s So-called “Real Americans” – is it true that she’s able to embody your class frustration? Are elitists dominating America? Do you feel patronized and under-represented? Or are you searching for the anti-Obama and she’ll do for now?
- Reader (assuming you’re still reading at this point) – ask yourself, what do you think?
Since her emergence into national politics, Sarah Palin did instigate some productive questions for me. What do I value in a political candidate? A President? Does she represent the “new” Republican Party? Or is she the “old” Republican Party? Is she the future of politics?
I guess the only thing I’ve determined is that she creates more questions than she answers – literally and figuratively.